Monday, June 9, 2008

Trash to Treasure

I wanted to share a project that has been in the works for awhile now! Not because it was complicated, but because my life has been crazy. I wanted to create a large "idea board" to hang about my crafting table. I found this old window screen for free on Craigslist (gotta love free!) and decided that it would make the perfect frame for my bulletin board. I love how worn and chippy the paint is. I think old "junk" turned treasure has such character!

I bought a roll of cork board and cut it to fit the openings. I wrapped fabric around the cork board and fit it snuggly into the openings behind the screen. I put a layer of thick foam core board behind the cork to hold it in and add an extra layer to protect the wall from any long pins I might stick in the board. I nailed finishing nails in to the side of the frame to hold the cork & foam board in place.

I am so happy with how the project turned out and can't wait to add inspiration photos, fabric scraps, notes and clippings to my idea board! But, I wanted to share the finished project with you before I cover it with beautiful pieces of inspiration & things I love.

I have two old windows that I picked up at the same time as the screen (also free!), and I look forward to finding a creative way to incorporate them into our space!

(On a different note, we were so excited to see several healthy sprouts with multiple leaves peeking out of our garden bed this weekend! There is definitely growth in progress!)

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I love it!

I just took my cheap-o bulletin board down to pretty it up a bit, and it got stepped on by a 3yo :(

Oh well, maybe I'll try this!

Shannon said...

I'm glad you found my blog so I could come see yours! I love your profile pic with the hydrangeas. Your blog is so cute. This is a great idea with the screen!

Anonymous said...

I love it. It has charm... Susie H

emily freeman said...

Hi Amber! I love that board. I also love our profile photo with the hydrangeas in the background. Simply lovely.

emily freeman said...

yeah. Meant to say "your profile photo" As far as I know, "we" don't have one together. I'm an idiot.

Tiffany said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! I love the fabric, too. I can't wait to see what you do with the frames. I need an idea board...

Andrea said...

I love that! Don't you just love redoing things! come by and enter my giveaway! :)