Friday, October 9, 2009

Food For Friday: White Chicken Chili

We are still in the mood for soup here at the Lo's, so I wanted to share one of our newest favorites! I got this White Chicken Chili recipe from my friend & teammate, Emily. She entered it into our Cru Chili Cook-Off a few weeks ago and it was so delicious I just knew I had to have the recipe! It's easy and full of flavor, with a little kick. We made it for friends tonight and they loved it to. I'm telling you, it's a winner!

Ingredients:

5 chicken breasts, cooked & cubed
2 medium yellow onions
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil)
1 can drained white beans (I used Northern White beans)
1 can drained white hominy
4 cans low sodium chicken broth
2 small cans chopped green chilies (not drained)
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups sour cream
1 cup half & half (I use Land O Lakes fat free)

Garnish:
cilantro, chopped
limes, cut into quarters
shredded Monterrey jack cheese
(optional: Fritos)

Grill the chicken (in a pan is fine) and cube.

Mince the onions. Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pot over medium heat, then add the onions and garlic, sautee until the onions are almost translucent.

Pour in the chicken broth and let simmer on low for about ten min.

Add the beans, chilies and hominy.

Add the chicken.

Add the spices and salt & pepper to taste.

Let simmer for at least 3o min.

Right before you serve it, stir in the half & half and sour cream, and heat through.

Serve with bowls of the garnish so each person can garnish their bowl of soup. Top with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. You can also toss some Fritos on top.

I like to serve it with warm cornbread. I'll share my mom's secret for fantastic, moist cornbread...add a box of Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding! Use one box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix, and prepare as directed on the box. Add in one small box of Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding and additional milk to bring it to the right batter consistency, (approximately double the amount of milk the cornbread box calls for) and beat well. Bake in an 8x8 or 9x9 glass casserole dish for 20-25 minutes. Everyone always loves our cornbread!

1 comment:

Lee Family said...

I saw this and just had to make it because i love chili and am always looking for new recipes...this was awesome!! completely hit the spot! I halved the recipe and used half of a chicken i had roasted for the meat. Also, I forgot to get green chiles, so I added a few tablespoons of jarred jalepenos (with the juice). We loved it!!thanks for the recipe!!