Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Embellished Wood Clip Frame

Now that we are pretty much settled in our home, I've been finding some time to craft and create. Some sweet friends of ours went above and beyond in the ways they served us during our move. I wanted to make a thank you gift for them to let them know just how much we appreciated and were blessed by all their help!

I made them an embellished wood clip frame in colors that they have in their home. One thing that is fun about clip frames is that it is easy to switch out the photograph, so you can rotate new pictures.

I started with a wood plaque from Michaels and painted it with two coats of acrylic paint. I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit onto the front and used a rub-on to add words to the bottom. When the paint was dry, I applied a thin layer of mod podge to the front of the plaque with a foam brush, and then smoothed the scrapbook paper on, being sure to get any bubbles out from under the paper. Using a sponge and a chocolate brown ink pad, I applied ink to age the edges of the paper and the frame. I tied pieces of several kinds of ribbon, eyelash fur, chenille yarn and textured yarn onto a piece of yarn the width of the plaque, until it was nice and full. I used a bead of craft glue about 1 inch down from the top of the plaque to attach it. I hammered a small nail just underneath the ribbon embellishment (hidden) for the clip to hang on, making it easy to switch out the photo.

I love creating gifts and had a lot of fun making this frame. I am working on another gift that I'll be sending out soon...I'll post pictures after it is delivered! I have been enjoying time in my craft room lately and am excited to start some other projects I have planned.

No comments: