Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ponce Inlet Lighthouse

On one of our free Saturdays while we were in Daytona Beach, we took an afternoon trip 15 minutes south to Ponce Inlet. The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse was completed in 1887, is the tallest lighthouse in Florida, and one of the tallest in the nation. There are several outbuildings surrounding the lighthouse, including the homes of previous lighthouse keepers and their families, which have been turned into a museum detailing the history of the lighthouse. Both Truman and I really enjoy history and visiting historical landmarks, so this was a fun way to enjoy the sunshine (which was a little too rare!)

We had to climb 203 steep, narrow metal stairs winding up the lighthouse to see the view from the top! By the time we reached the top, my legs were mush. I definitely paid for it the next day!


Views from the top! It was extremely windy up there...

It was SO windy that it blew my sunglasses right off my shirt and I couldn't grab them quick enough as they skidded across the observation deck floor and right off the side. We weren't sure we would be able to find them at the bottom, or if we did, we doubted they would have survived unscathed. But, sure enough, I spotted them in the grass in one piece and just as good as before the fall!

No comments: