Sunday, February 3, 2013

Food For Friday: Nut Free Homemade Larabars

Take two on Homemade Larabars!  This version is allergy friendly and NUT FREE!  It is also dairy free, and if made with gluten free oats, can also be gluten free.

With Hudson's extensive list of food allergies, I am always looking for new ideas of healthy and easy meals and snacks for him.  I have come to love Homemade Larabars as a quick and easy snack for myself, so I set out to make an allergy free version for the little man.

Of course, Hudson wouldn't eat them, so I added them to the freezer pile of foods for him to try again later. But, we tried them and they are really good!  I hardly miss the nuts in this version.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup Sunbutter (or any sunflower seed butter)
2 1/2 cups pitted dates
1 tsp. olive oil
2 tbls. cocoa
scant 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Grind oats in the food processor until powdered.  Add sunbutter, olive oil, cocoa, vanilla & salt.  Pulse until blended.  Add dates and process until well mixed.  Press into a 9x9 pan or roll into balls.  (If making bars, you can line the pan with parchment paper for easier removal, but they come out of the pan fine without it too.)  If making bars, refrigerate the pan for 1 hour, then cut into bars or squares with a sharp knife.

Store in an air tight container, with wax paper in between layers, in the refrigerator for one week.  They can also be frozen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I thought of you today and popped on here to see if you had updated... sadly, no. I hope that life is just too full to allow computer time and that all is well in your world. I think of you more often than you'd probably guess, considering we never met in person while you were here in Austin. My son is in his second year at UT and participates in the Baptist Student Ministry there - some of their activities have overlapped with some of your group! Hope you'll update sometime!